We recently had the honour of exhibiting at the Yorkshire Motorhome & Campervan Show, which was absolutely amazing. While we were showcasing our Anti-Insect Sleepwear we learnt a great deal about one of this year’s hottest staycation trends – motorhomes, campervans and caravans!
If you are relatively new to this and don’t know where to start, we’ve got you covered. There are three main options to begin with, you can buy new or used, convert and renovate your own, or rent. Read on to find out more.
Buying a motorhome, campervan or caravan may sound daunting but it’s much easier than you think.
Before you start shopping, it’s best to answer a few important questions we have outlined as a checklist for you:
What is the purpose of the van?
- Long day trips
- Overnight stays
What do you want?
- Caravan – living area towed behind a regular vehicle
- Campervan – single vehicle that can be driven
- Motorhome – similar to a campervan but is bigger and ideal for longer stays
What size do you want?
- How many people are you buying for
- Where can you take and park the van
- Does the driver seat have enough space
- Is it comfortable or cramped (it’s a good idea to try standing in the shower)
- Is there enough space for all your luggage
- If choosing a caravan, how heavy is the van and can your car tow it
- How often do you plan on using it
What are your sleeping preferences?
- Island, fixed, transverse – think about how easy it is to get in and out of bed especially at night!
- Fixed beds – these are great for a big van however if you’re cautious of space then maybe choosing a different option is better to allow for more cooking, working and relaxing space
What is your budget?
- New vs used – a used van is a cheaper alternative to buying a brand new van
- One of the biggest benefits of buying a van is saving on accommodation around the country and staying in the comfort of your own (motor)home
- It’s important to set a reasonable budget while splurging on areas that mean the most to you
Our recommended sellers
- For bespoke design, handcrafted, beautiful campervans, built to last, visit Orange Campers. A family run, friendly company with over 20 years of experience.
- For bespoke volkswagen campervans visit Jack’s Shacks. Run by a passionate team of creative mechanics and technicians based in Leicestershire, with faultless customer service.
- For truly unique campers all around the country, visit Quirky Campers. The adventurous company also give 10% of their profits to charity!
- For a one-stop shop for all your touring caravan and motorhome needs, visit Steve Mann Caravans in Harrogate. With quality vehicles, servicing and repairs, plus a large accessory shop and indoor showroom.
- For motorhomes all around the country, visit Motorhome Depot. With an easy and secure platform to navigate buying your first motorhome.
Converting your own
During your research you might notice that your ideal campervan simply may not exist! If this is the case, you might want to consider converting and renovating your own van to best suit your needs.
Though converting your own van will result in a bespoke van just for you and your specification, this can be a costly and timely option. Thankfully there are some businesses we recommend to make your dreams come true!
Our recommended renovators
- For premium, contemporary, lovingly hand-crafted van conversions, visit Jorvik Van Conversions. They are passionate about helping others get on the road and create the lifestyle they’ve dreamt of – your only limit is your imagination! If you are looking for something unique, work with them to come up with the perfect design to suit your needs.
- For bespoke volkswagen campervan conversions, visit Tribe campers. With campervans to suit all budgets, they also offer free live ‘campervan video demonstrations’ over Zoom – a safe and exciting way to start your campervan journey!
If you like the idea of having a motorhome holiday but want to test it out before you commit to buying your own, there are plenty of places to rent a van!
Although, experts say the value for money on buying your own van is great. Even if you use it a few times then sell it on, you have already made a saving.
Our recommended rentals
- To hire brand new campervans, motorhomes and jeeps with tent boxes, visit Goat Roadtrip. With a focus on providing the greatest of all time road trips, the company offers rentals as well as accommodation packages on popular road trip routes.
- For a range of motorhomes and campervans at up to half the price of many rental companies, visit Campers4All. Search by location and book instantly.
- For a large selection of caravans, motorhomes, and campervans, visit Camplify. With over 20,000 members the community has a vehicle to suit every need!
- To rent your dream campervan close to home, visit Paul Camper. Rental prices include fully comprehensive insurance, all the equipment you need, and mileage agreed upfront to guarantee no extra costs.
Top tip: if you do decide to buy and only plan to use your van a few occasions across the year, you can consider renting the van for others to use. This is a great way to get a bit of cash on the side while you’re not using your van!
Other bits and bobs to accessorise your van
- Driveaway awnings, accessories and foldable furniture – save space with clever foldable furniture that can hideaway when not in use, visit Camping International.
- Portable barbecue – the best part about summer is of course a sizzling barbeque.
- A hammock – a great fun way to relax outside in the fresh air and it doesn’t take up too much room – bonus!
- Anti-insect clothing – avoid painful annoying bug bites on your travels, especially midges if you’re travelling around the UK. Our Bamboo Anti-Insect Sleepwear doubles as luxurious loungewear which is perfect for any outdoor adventure – plus it’s comes with a handy storage bag, perfect to fit when you’re lacking space!
- Caravan bedding – a comfy night sleep is super important when traveling, be sure to choose some cosy bedding to help you sleep well, visit Caravan Beds.
- Wi-Fi booster – plan on catching up on Netflix by the bonfire? With everything online this is a new must have!
- Solar energy kit – recharge your phone and other electrical goods using the sun while you’re on the move.
- Smart storage – hooks, baskets and boxes are essential to store all your belongings to avoid clutter in small spaces.
- Emergency kit – when out and about on your adventure it’s important to be prepared for cuts, grazes or bites.
- Portable cooler – keep your food fresh on the go, visit Total Cool.
- Pots and pans – something easily forgotten about but important to cook delicious meals, these pots and pans are lightweight which make them perfect for travelling.
- Insurance and breakdown cover – ensure you are protected in an emergency while on the road, visit RAC.
- Essential guide – buy the Brit Stops guide for details of over 1000 hosts for where you can pitch for the night, plus country pubs, farm shops, vineyards, breweries, and lots more!
Where to find out more information
We hope this guide to motorhome, campervan and caravan holidays has been helpful! Be sure to find out additional information by keeping an eye out for Motorhome and Campervan Shows here.
Plus, check out UK Motorhomes for a source of information on motorhomes, caravans, and campervans.
We Drifters is a small company based in the UK. Inspired by her travels to South East Asia, Naudia, created luxury bamboo sleepwear infused with anti-insect properties to keep bugs at bay, giving you the best night’s sleep.
Designed for travel, our sleepwear set is lightweight and keeps you cool during the heat, and warm in the cold. This unique blend of anti-insect technology and super soft bamboo is perfect for any adventure and any weather. The stylish unisex design is breathable, odour resistant and sweat wicking. To read more about us and our sleepwear click here.